Connecting Ideas | Strengthening Capacity | Innovation Solutions
what is a coronavirus
Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses which may cause illness in animals or humans. In humans, several coronaviruses are known to cause respiratory infections ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS).
The most recently discovered coronavirus causes coronavirus disease COVID-19.
What is COVID-19?
COVID-19 is the infectious disease caused by the most recently discovered coronavirus. This new virus and disease were unknown before the outbreak began in Wuhan, China, in December 2019.
What are the symptoms of COVID-19?
The most common symptoms of COVID-19 are:
- dry cough.
- difficulty breathing
Some people become infected but do not develop any symptoms and don't feel unwell. Most people (about 80%) recover from the disease without needing special treatment. Older people, and those with underlying medical problems like high blood pressure, heart problems or diabetes, are more likely to develop serious illness. People with fever, cough and difficulty breathing should seek medical attention.
How can I reduce risks of coronavirus infection?
People can help protect themselves from respiratory illness with everyday preventive actions:
- Frequently wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 40 to 60seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid crowded places
- Stay at home as much as possible, avoid unnecessary movements
Maintain at least 1 meter (3 feet) distance between yourself and anyone who is coughing or sneezing
If you are sick, to keep from spreading respiratory illness to others, you should
- Self-isolate by staying at home if you feel unwell
- Cover your mouth and nose with your bent elbow or tissue when you cough or sneeze. Then dispose of the used tissue immediately.
- If you have a fever, cough and difficulty breathing, seek medical attention and call in advance. Follow the directions of your local health authority.
Find us M. Peace Plaza, 8th Floor, Tower C | KN 4 Avenue, Nyarugenge, Kigali