Connecting Ideas | Strengthening Capacity | Innovation Solutions
Immerse yourself in our Research
We produce solutions-oriented research to connect the right people with the right ideas.
Please visit again for updated reports, articles and policy briefs.
Voluntary National Reviews (VNR)
Dr. Enock Nyorekwa Twinoburyo, PhD Senior Economist
Presentation at the Handicap International organized conference for the training and coaching for participation in Voluntary National Review and the regional fora on sustainable development.
The training is part of the HELASIA project funded by NORAD.
The SDG Center for Africa covered the introduction of SDGs, Africa at glance, implications of VNR and disability inclusion in SDGS. The disability related goals are:
Goal 4: Guaranteeing equal and accessible education by building inclusive learning environments and providing the needed assistance for persons with disabilities
Goal 8: Promoting inclusive economic growth, full and productive employment allowing persons with disabilities to fully access the job market
Goal 10: Emphasizing the social, economic and political inclusion of persons with disabilities
Goal 11: Creating accessible cities and water resources, affordable, accessible and sustainable transport systems, providing universal access to safe, inclusive, accessible and green public spaces
Goal 17: Underlining the importance of data collection and monitoring of the SDGs, emphasis on disability disaggregated data. However, the Indicator framework has only 18 indicators disaggregated by disability. That is SDG 1 (2), SDG 5 (2), SDG 8(2), SDG 10 (2), SDG 11 (4), SDG 16 (4) and SDG 17 (1).
In terms of take aways, the presentation concluded by underlining key actions to accelerate and fast track stakeholder efforts in SDG implementation. Key among them is:
- Stronger partnerships, coordination and collaboration
- Deeper localization and popularization of the SDGs and 2030 Agenda
- Building a leadership culture for the SDG agenda at all level
- Promoting SDG-focused innovation by all citizens especially young people (harnessing technology and matching opportunities)
- Focusing on Financing for SDGs - Harnessing Country’s Potential (engaging the private sector/ stakeholders to appreciate the potential and benefit of SDGs)
- Strengthening data, monitoring and reporting on SDGs
SDGS at Glance Southern Africa
Presentation at the LAUNCH of SDGCA in Zambia
Enock Nyorekwa Twinoburyo, PhDSenior Economist
SDGs IMPLEMENTATION IN AFRICA - REFLECTIONS ON A THREE-YEAR JOURNEY
Background: Following the adoption of the SDGs in September 2015, Africa has made many commitments towards achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) Agenda 2030 and the Africa Union Agenda 2063. At the adoption of the SDGs, Africa’s starting point was lower than all the other regions. Africa was at cross roads, with low tax revenue to Gross Domestic Product (GDP) on the one end of the problem, and enormous development needs on the other end. Infrastructure gaps alone were estimated at USD 130–170 billion a year, with a financing gap in the range USD 68–108 billion. The SDGs were conceptualized and adopted during a period of global economic and financial transition. Emerging evidence over the last three years (2015 – 2018) of tracking SDGs progress on an annual basis indicates complex challenges still prevail in Africa. Many intricacies, ambiguities and questions continue to predominate and stand in the pathway forwards towards Africa’s achievement of these Goals.
Enhancing National M&R System and Capacities for SDG monitoring & Reporting. (12th June 2019)
- Development data gaps Download
- National Monitoring and Reporting System Download
- Systeme National de Suivi-Evaluation des ODD au Benin Download
- L'utilisation envisagée du système national de suivi-évaluation des ODD Download
- PAN AFRICAN MRS system Download
- AFRICA SDG Index & dashboards 2019 Download
SESSION: Revitalization of National Development Banks for Sustainable Development (12th June 2019)
- Uganda Development Bank Download
- Rwanda Development Bank Download
- Innovative financing for the NDBs in Africa Download
- Ethiopia: Regulatory and supervisory framework for development bank of Ethiopia Download
- Assessing the Current State and Prospects of NDBs in Fostering Economic Development and Achievement of SDGs Download
- How to achieve the Goals ? How to aget access to funding ? How to invest efficiently Download
SESSION: Financing Education (13 June, 2019)
- African Primary and Secondary education fund (APSEF) - Concept NOTE Download
SESSION: Financing Health (13 June 2019)
- Good Health and wellbeing in Africa: African Health Fund initiative Download
SESSION: Financing Green Water in Africa (13 June 2019)
- Costing Rainwater Harvesting for Dryland Smallholder Farmers Download
MAIN CONFERENCE (14 June 2019)
- SDG 3 Year Report Presentation Download