Connecting Ideas | Strengthening Capacity | Innovation Solutions
Voluntary National Reviews (VNR)
Presentation by SDGCA Dr. Enock Nyorekwa Twinoburyo, PhD Senior Economist.
The Handicap International organized a conference for the training and coaching for participation in Voluntary National Review and the regional fora on sustainable development.
The training is part of the HELASIA project funded by NORAD.
The SDG Center for Africa covered the introduction of SDGs, Africa at glance, implications of VNR and disability inclusion in SDGS. The disability related goals are:
Goal 4: Guaranteeing equal and accessible education by building inclusive learning environments and providing the needed assistance for persons with disabilities
Goal 8: Promoting inclusive economic growth, full and productive employment allowing persons with disabilities to fully access the job market
Goal 10: Emphasizing the social, economic and political inclusion of persons with disabilities
Goal 11: Creating accessible cities and water resources, affordable, accessible and sustainable transport systems, providing universal access to safe, inclusive, accessible and green public spaces
Goal 17: Underlining the importance of data collection and monitoring of the SDGs, emphasis on disability disaggregated data. However, the Indicator framework has only 18 indicators disaggregated by disability. That is SDG 1 (2), SDG 5 (2), SDG 8(2), SDG 10 (2), SDG 11 (4), SDG 16 (4) and SDG 17 (1).
In terms of take aways, the presentation concluded by underlining key actions to accelerate and fast track stakeholder efforts in SDG implementation. Key among them is:
- Stronger partnerships, coordination and collaboration
- Deeper localization and popularization of the SDGs and 2030 Agenda
- Building a leadership culture for the SDG agenda at all level
- Promoting SDG-focused innovation by all citizens especially young people (harnessing technology and matching opportunities)
- Focusing on Financing for SDGs - Harnessing Country’s Potential (engaging the private sector/ stakeholders to appreciate the potential and benefit of SDGs)
- Strengthening data, monitoring and reporting on SDGs
Find us M. Peace Plaza, 8th Floor, Tower C | KN 4 Avenue, Nyarugenge, Kigali