Connecting Ideas | Strengthening Capacity | Innovation Solutions
Engagement for Results: Capacitating National Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) and their networks to effectively participate in the SADC regional integration process
Dar es salaam, Tanzania.
TIFANNY DIAMOND HOTEL
27th -28th April 2023
The Consumer Unity and Trust Society (CUTS) Lusaka and the Sustainable Development Goals Center for Africa (SDGCA) are implementing a 17 months’ project titled “Engagement for Results: Capacitating Regional Civil Society Organizations and their networks to effectively participate in the SADC regional integration process”. This project is part of the Integrated Institutional Capacity-Building (IICB) by the SADC Secretariat for CSO Stakeholders financed under the 11th European Development Fund (EDF). The project will be implemented in the SADC region in Malawi, Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
The goals of the project are to
- strengthen the capacity of Regional CSOs’ and their structures to effectively engage with key stakeholders (SADC Secretariat and SADC Institutions, national governments and citizens) to contribute toward the implementation of the SADC regional integration agenda;
- Enhance the role and efficacy of Regional CSOs and their networks to effectively document, disseminate and communicate progress on regional integration agenda to the public and other stakeholders. This will result in an effective contribution to the achievement of the Regional Indicative Strategic Development Plan (RISDP) - (2020-2030) and SADC vision 2050.
As part of the project activities, Eastern and Southern Africa small Scale Farmers Forum (ESAFF) in collaboration with CUTS International and SDGCA have mobilized and engaged civil society organizations (CSOs) engaged or interested in Regional Integration in SADC to bring their voices together and find ways to enhance their capacities. The recently concluded CSO mapping and advocacy appraisals aimed at enabling the implementing agencies and partners to fully understand the current advocacy landscape and identify the opportunities and challenges in implementation of SADC Regional Integration. To this end, the national training workshops are envisaged to be held for potential CSOs and will be coordinated along with the collaborative partners including Eastern and Southern Africa small Scale Farmers Forum (ESAFF) in Tanzania.
Purpose of the National Workshops
The main purpose of the national workshop is to continue the discussion around the role of NSAs in the SADC regional integration in Tanzania and highlight key issues pertaining to current challenges and opportunities within the region. We aim to achieve a common understanding of SADC Vision and RISDP objectives and the role played by the various national stakeholders in successful implementation of the Vision. Specifically, the objectives of the workshop seek to:
- Enhance awareness and understanding of the formalized structures for NSA engagement in the SADC processes at national and regional level;
- Engage in discussions on existing state and performance of NSA engagement in SADC processes in Tanzania, anticipated outputs, accompanying activities and the planned timelines.
- Identify key issues related to domestication of SADC vision and RISDP relevant for the NSAs in Tanzania, and the expected stakeholders’ roles and responsibilities.
- Deliver on the monitoring and advocacy tools for NSAs towards the tracking and reporting of progress of RISDP and dialogues of SADC processes and vision.
- Consultatively identify effective CSO engagement mechanisms at national level that will deliver implementation of SADC regional integration.
Concept Note - National Workshop Dar es salaam, 27-28 April 2023
Download brochure 1
Download brochure 2
Find us M. Peace Plaza, 8th Floor, Tower C | KN 4 Avenue, Nyarugenge, Kigali